“The light of hope can be found anywhere.”
–the doctor in Mideel, FFVII
- 3 oz. raw bacon (about 2 slices), chopped into 1″ squares
- 1 serrano chile pepper, minced
- 1 lb. greens, cleaned and chopped (beet greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, kale, or spinach are all good choices)
- 1 cup light coconut milk (about 1/2 can)
- Sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- Juice of ½ lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- Cooked basmati rice, or other whole grain (optional)
Heat a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until it begins to crisp and render its fat. Stir in chile pepper and continue to cook, about 10 minutes.
Add greens, a handful at a time, until wilted. This step will take about 15 minutes. Once the greens are combined with the bacon and chile pepper, pour in the coconut milk. Stir well, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice.
Serve over rice if desired; the greens are also delicious on their own. Makes 4 servings.
Per serving (not including rice): 184 calories, 15.1 g. fat, 6.8 g. saturated fat, 1.4 g. poly. fat, 5.5 g. mono. fat, 15.8 mg. cholesterol, 201.9 mg. sodium, 373.4 mg. potassium, 7.7 g. carbohydrates, 3 g. fiber, 5.3 g. protein, vitamin A 37%, vitamin C 37%, calcium 15%, iron 10%