“Show me the alchemist who doesn’t wish in his heart of hearts to know the secret behind making an elixir, and I’ll show you a fraud! Of course, he might already know it… but it’s taboo to reveal the ingredients.”
—Tyak, Master Chef, FFXII
Okay, so you already know to start a pot of White Mage Chicken Soup when you feel like you might be getting sick, right? Well, this is the soup to cook when you’re feeling stressed out, rundown, and in need of some serious super-strength mind and body healing power. It’s packed full of ingredients to reduce your stress levels and make you stronger.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion or 2 small onions, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 4 medium carrots, chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 3½ oz. shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced very thinly
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1½ pounds beef stew meat, uncooked, cut into 1″ pieces
- ½ tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup dry green split peas (about 6 oz.)
- 1 pound fresh plum tomatoes, chopped
- 12 oz. sweet potato (1 large or 2 small), peeled and cut into 1″ cubes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups beef broth
- Fresh oregano sprigs
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 5″ pieces of dried seaweed (optional)
- 12 oz. broccoli florets
- 6 oz. baby bok choy, chopped
- 1 head of garlic (about 8–12 cloves), peeled and grated or pressed
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger (about 3 square inches)
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons to ¼ cup)
- Diced avocado and fresh basil leaves (optional)
Heat olive oil and coconut oil in a heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat just until the oil begins to shimmer. Add onions, reduce heat, and cook for about 10 minutes, covered. Stir frequently and reduce heat as needed if the onions are browning too quickly. Add carrots and mushrooms and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
Add chicken and beef and sprinkle with sea salt, cayenne pepper, coriander, cumin, and turmeric. Brown on all sides, about 15 minutes. Stir in split peas and cook for about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and sweet potato and continue cooking for another minute. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Add oregano, thyme, bay leaves, and seaweed. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover.
Simmer, stirring occasionally, until stew meat and split peas are soft and tender, about 2 hours.
Remove from heat and stir in broccoli, bok choy, garlic, ginger, and lemon juice. Cover and let rest for about 5 minutes, until the broccoli is bright green and crunchy-tender. Divide into bowls and top with avocado and basil, if desired.
Makes about 12 heaping 1-cup servings. Per serving (not including avocado): 319 calories, 9.2 g. fat, 3.9 g. saturated fat, 0.9 g. poly. fat, 2.5 g. mono. fat, 79.1 mg. cholesterol, 966.4 mg. sodium (this will be less if you use homemade chicken stock instead of storebought), 724.5 mg. potassium, 25.2 g. carbohydrates, 6.1 g. fiber, 34.2 g. protein, vitamin A 62%, vitamin C 58%, calcium 9%, iron 17%