“Zanarkand as it looked one thousand years ago. The great and wondrous machina city, Zanarkand.”
—Seymour Guado, FFX
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 2 small yellow onions or 1 large onion, chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 1 lb. lamb stew meat, cut into 1″ pieces
- 8 to 12 garlic cloves (1 bulb), peeled
- 4 medium carrots, scrubbed and grated
- 2 cups brown jasmine rice, uncooked (about 12½ oz.)
- 6 oz. dried apricots, diced
- ½ cup fresh dill, chopped (or 2 tbsp. dried dill, crushed)
Heat oil in a heavy soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 10 minutes, covered. Stir frequently and reduce heat if the onions are browning too quickly. Add lamb, season to taste with salt and pepper, and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
Cover with grated carrots in a solid layer, hiding the meat underneath. Sprinkle with garlic cloves. Pour rice and ½ tsp. salt on top of the carrots and garlic. Add apricots, dill, and about 4 cups of water.
Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover with tight-fitting lid, and cook for 45 minutes. Check on the rice. If water still remains, cook for an additional 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir well and spoon into bowls. Makes 8 servings.
Per serving: 402 calories, 13.3 g. fat, 3.9 g. saturated fat, 1.3 g. poly. fat, 6.2 g. mono. fat, 40.4 mg. cholesterol, 328 mg. sodium, 498.2 mg. potassium, 55.8 g. carbohydrates, 4.5 g. fiber, 14.6 g. protein, vitamin A 42%, vitamin C 7%, calcium 3%, iron 14%