“The light of hope can be found anywhere.”
—the doctor in Mideel, FFVII
- 6 oz. raw bacon (about 4 slices), cut into ½” strips
- 1 large serrano chile pepper or 2 small ones, diced
- 2 lbs. greens, cleaned and chopped (beet greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, kale, or spinach are all good choices)
- Half a can of light coconut milk (about 1 cup)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly-ground black pepper
- Juice of ½ lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- Cooked basmati rice, or other whole grain (optional)
Heat a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until it begins to crisp and render its fat. Stir in chile peppers and continue to cook, about 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium, add half the greens, and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the other half of the greens and repeat. Once all the greens are combined with the bacon and chile peppers, slowly pour in the coconut milk while scraping up the crispy bits. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice.
Serve over rice if desired; the greens are also delicious on their own. Makes 8 servings.
Per serving (not including rice): 105 calories, 5.6 g. fat, 2.6 g. saturated fat, 0.1 g. poly. fat, 0.1 g. mono. fat, 12.2 mg. cholesterol, 378.5 mg. sodium, 368.6 mg. potassium, 8.9 g. carbohydrates, 3.7 g. fiber, 7.2 g. protein, vitamin A 89%, vitamin C 98%, calcium 17%, iron 8%