“When this unpleasantness is done, you must come to Rozarria. I will take you to the Ambervale of Clan Margrace. Such things I will show you! Until then, I will be waiting.”
—Al-Cid Margrace, FFXII
- 1 lb. chorizo sausage or hot Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 head of garlic (about 8-12 cloves), peeled and halved
- 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 lb. uncooked Arborio rice
- About ½ bottle of white wine, such as Pinot Grigio (1½ cups)
- 2 14-oz. cans of diced tomatoes (preferably fire-roasted)
- 1 12-oz. jar of roasted peppers, drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch of kale (about 8 oz.), stems removed and torn into pieces
- ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons to ¼ cup)
If using chorizo sausage, slice into ½” rounds. If using Italian sausage, remove casings and chop into 1″ pieces.
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and sausage. Cook for 10 minutes until sausage is browned on all sides.
Add chicken and sprinkle with chili powder, paprika, and salt. Brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
Pour in rice, and stir well to combine. Add wine, tomatoes, and peppers, and bring to a boil.
Stir in chicken broth and kale and simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking and lowering the heat as necessary. Remove from heat when rice is tender, and stir in parsley and lemon juice.
Makes about 13 heaping half-cup servings. Per serving: 330 calories, 10.5 g. fat, 3.2 g. saturated fat, 0.5 g. poly. fat, 1.8 g. mono. fat, 44.4 mg. cholesterol, 814.3 mg. sodium (this will be less if you use homemade chicken stock instead of storebought), 182.2 mg. potassium, 40.8 g. carbohydrates, 1.3 g. fiber, 16.9 g. protein, vitamin A 24%, vitamin C 64%, calcium 5%, iron 9%