“I’d just hate to see the Consul upset because his food wasn’t ready on time.”
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup blanched, slivered raw almonds
- 3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground dried ginger
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 8-12 garlic cloves (1 bulb), peeled and halved
- 1 lb. carrots, scrubbed and sliced diagonally
- 12 oz. frozen artichoke hearts
- 1 15-oz. can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¾ oz. flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons to ¼ cup)
Heat butter and oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 10 minutes. Stir frequently and reduce heat if the onions are browning too quickly.
Add the almonds and chicken pieces to the soup pot. Sprinkle with spices and salt. Brown chicken on all sides, about 10 minutes.
Add garlic and stir well to combine. Cook 5 minutes. Add carrots and artichoke hearts. Stir and continue to cook, about 5 minutes. Add chickpeas, broth, and cinnamon stick, and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
Remove from heat and stir in parsley and lemon juice. Remove cinnamon stick and serve.
Makes about 11 heaping 1-cup servings. Per serving: 332 calories, 14.4 g. fat, 3.1 g. saturated fat, 2.4 g. poly. fat, 7 g. mono. fat, 75.9 mg. cholesterol, 1165.8 mg. sodium (this will be less if you use homemade broth instead of storebought), 459.8 mg. potassium, 18.9 g. carbohydrates, 6.1 g. fiber, 32.1 g. protein, vitamin A 47%, vitamin C 10%, calcium 8%, iron 13%