“Please relax while you’re here.”
—Edgar Roni Figaro, FFVI
- 1 liter (4.25 cups) water
- 4 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 5 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole star anise
- 15 whole cloves
- 15 whole green cardamom pods
- 2 mandarin oranges, washed well and sliced crosswise
- 1 Meyer lemon, washed well and sliced crosswise
- 2 vanilla beans (optional)
- 1.5 liters (2 bottles) of dry red wine, such as cabernet sauvignon
In a 4-quart slow cooker, stir together water and sugar. Tie up in a piece of cheesecloth the cinnamon, star anise, cloves, cardamom, oranges, lemon, and vanilla beans. Add to the slow cooker, turn to the high setting, cover, and cook for about 3 hours.
Reduce to the low setting and wait about 30 minutes before stirring in both bottles of wine. Cover and cook for another hour before serving.
To serve, pour a shot of amaretto into a mug and ladle the hot wine mixture on top.