“Welcome to Rin’s Travel Agency. Would you care to take a rest?”
—travel agency clerk, FFX
A delicious spread for hungry travelers. Tear off a piece of flatbread and wrap it around a selection of items to create a mini-sandwich. If you’ve got a really fresh tomato or some Persian cucumbers, you could slice those up and add them to the platter too.
- 8 oz. block of feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- ½ cup olive oil
- Flaky sea salt, such as Maldon
- 1 small bunch of fresh mint
- 1 small bunch of fresh basil
- 1 small bunch of fresh cilantro
- 1 small bunch of fresh dill
- 1 bunch radishes, ends removed and quartered lengthwise
- 1 bunch scallions, ends removed and quartered crosswise
- 2 cups walnuts
- Lavash or other flatbread
Drain the feta and place it in the center of a large platter. Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the caraway, cumin, and coriander seeds and stir until they start to release their aroma, about 2 minutes, being careful not to let them burn. Transfer to a small bowl and pour in the olive oil. Add a pinch of salt, stir, and set aside.
Wash and dry the mint, basil, cilantro, and dill and cut the ends off the stems. Arrange around the feta in piles. Add radishes, scallions, and walnuts to the platter. Pour the olive oil mixture over the feta. Serve with warmed flatbread.