“Thanks to the ample supply of water here, we can grow fresh vegetables and even raise chocobos.”
—a man at the Black Chocobo Farm in Troia, FFIV
For a vegan version, omit the anchovies and substitute 1 tablespoon of olive oil. You can also make it gluten-free by using rice pasta.
- 16 oz. uncooked linguine or other pasta
- About 2 pounds fresh or canned tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup (60 g.) drained capers
- 4 ounces pitted olives
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon or 1 slice preserved lemon, chopped
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- One 2-ounce can anchovies packed in oil, chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
Prepare pasta according to package directions. While the water is heating, stir together the tomatoes in a large bowl with the capers, olives, garlic, lemon, crushed red pepper, and anchovies and their oil, until a chunky sauce forms. Stir in basil, sea salt, and black pepper. Divide the cooked pasta into bowls and top with sauce.
Makes 4 servings. Per serving (includes anchovy oil, about 1/4 tablespoon in each serving): 1,096 calories, 55 g. fat, 129 g. carbohydrates, 22 g. fiber, 30 g. protein, iron 63%