“Say, Ignis. How come you like cookin’ so much?”
“I find the true joy of cooking on the faces of those for whom I cook.”
—Noctis and Ignis, FFXV
For the roast:
- 3 to 3½ pounds boneless beef cross-rib roast
- ¼ cup espresso-ground dark-roast coffee beans
- 8 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the sauce:
- 16 ounces crème fraiche (2 cups)
- 1 cup grated peeled fresh horseradish
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 tablespoon minced scallion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
The morning of the dinner, prepare the beef. Combine coffee, garlic, bourbon, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and vanilla extract in a bowl. Pat the beef dry and place fat side up on a rack set in a large roasting pan. Rub all over with the coffee mixture and refrigerate, uncovered.
Combine all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate, covered.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Roast the meat for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue roasting until center of roast registers 130 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 1 hour more.
Carve thinly and serve immediately with a substantial red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon or Barolo and a simple salad tossed with olive oil and vinegar.