“You can never have too many spices.”
—Ignis Scientia, FFXV
You’ll need wooden skewers for this recipe. Make sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling.
- ½ tablespoon coriander seeds
- ½ tablespoon cumin seeds
- ½ tablespoon cardamom seeds
- ½ tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon fennel seed
- ½ teaspoon mustard seed
- ½ teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ tablespoon turmeric
- ½ tablespoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 28-ounce can of whole peeled tomatoes
- 6 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger (about 3 square inches)
- 7 ounces plain Greek yogurt, such as Fage
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 large or 2 small lemons)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1½” cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Sesame seeds
- Fresh cilantro
- Cooked basmati rice
Combine the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom seeds, peppercorns, fennel seed, mustard seed, and cloves in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Toast until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Grind the toasted spices in a clean coffee or spice mill and transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in paprika, turmeric, nutmeg, and cayenne.
Pour the tomatoes and their juices into a food processor or blender and add garlic, ginger, and the bowl of spices. Blend until smooth.
In the bowl, whisk together yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and ¼ cup of the tomato mixture. Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour in marinade and seal bag, removing as much air as possible. Place in refrigerator and marinate for 4 to 8 hours. Transfer the tomato mixture to a storage container and refrigerate.
Thread chicken tightly onto skewers. Heat the tomato mixture in a saucepan over medium heat. When it’s bubbling, stir in cream and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes.
Grill over medium-high direct heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side until well browned on all sides. Transfer skewers to a platter and let rest for 5 minutes.
In the center of each plate, place a large serving of sauce. Arrange skewers on top and garnish to taste with sesame seeds and cilantro. Serve with basmati rice.